What is Speech Pathology?
Speech Pathology assesses and treats difficulties of communication and swallowing. Communication includes difficulties with speech clarity, expression of thoughts and information, understanding language, social language skills and vocal quality / projection. Swallowing includes difficulties with eating / swallowing of drinks, food, medication and saliva.
Speech Pathologists at CQ Physio Group assess and treat both adults and children with a variety of communication and swallowing difficulties.
A referral from a doctor is generally not required to see a Speech Pathologist.
A CQ Physio Group Speech Pathologist can help when:
- Speech is difficult to understand by others and / or there is difficulty with the production of some sounds
- Vocal quality is hoarse, harsh, whispered or inconsistent and / or there is lack of flexibility in voice, for example difficulty with being able to speak loud, difficulty with volume control and difficulty with using different pitch / inflections in speaking/ singing.
- Speech is not fluent, does not flow and has hesitations
- Understanding what others say and following day to day directions is difficult.
- Expressing oneself is difficult, including difficulty with finding the appropriate word to use, sequencing words into grammatical sentences and expressing one’s feeling.
- Trying to communicate leads to frustration
- The learning of and functional use of reading and spelling / writing is difficult.
- A cough or throat clear occurs before / during or after swallowing and / or recurrent chest infection occur. This can indicate difficulties with swallowing and can have major health implications.
- Oral intake is reduced or taking medication is difficult.
CQ Physio Group Speech Pathologists assess and treat both children and adults with a range of developmental, neurological, genetic, degenerative, physical and functional difficulties.
CQ Physio Group Speech Pathologists conduct sessions within the clinic at CQ Physio, Rockhampton. They also visit Catholic / Private Schools and Private Nursing Homes / Hospitals in and around Rockhampton. Please enquire for further detail on these services.