What is Speech Pathology?
A Speech Pathologist assesses and treats difficulties of communication and swallowing. Communication includes difficulties with speech clarity, expression of thoughts and information, understanding language, social language skills and vocal quality / projection. Swallowing includes difficulties with eating / swallowing of drinks, food, medication and saliva.
Speech Pathologists at CQ Physio Group assess and treat both adults and children with a variety of communication and swallowing difficulties.
A referral from a doctor is generally not required to see a Speech Pathologist.
A CQ Physio Group Speech Pathologist can help when:
- Speech is difficult to understand by others and / or there is difficulty with the production of some sounds
- Vocal quality is hoarse, harsh, whispered or inconsistent and / or there is lack of flexibility in voice, for example difficulty with being able to speak loud, difficulty with volume control and difficulty with using different pitch / inflections in speaking/ singing.
- Speech is not fluent, does not flow and has hesitations
- Understanding what others say and following day to day directions is difficult.
- Expressing oneself is difficult, including difficulty with finding the appropriate word to use, sequencing words into grammatical sentences and expressing one’s feeling.
- Trying to communicate leads to frustration
- The learning of and functional use of reading and spelling / writing is difficult.
- A cough or throat clear occurs before / during or after swallowing and / or recurrent chest infection occur. This can indicate difficulties with swallowing and can have major health implications.
- Oral intake is reduced or taking medication is difficult.
CQ Physio Group Speech Pathologists assess and treat both children and adults with a range of developmental, neurological, genetic, degenerative, physical and functional difficulties.
CQ Physio Group Speech Pathologists conduct sessions within the clinic at CQ Physio, Rockhampton. They also visit Catholic / Private Schools and Private Nursing Homes / Hospitals in and around Rockhampton. Please enquire for further detail on these services.